Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Tragedy, Really

Yesterday, keyboardist Richard Wright, of Pink Floyd, died of cancer at 65.

Said David Gilmour:

“No one can replace Richard Wright. He was my musical partner and my friend. In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound.” He later adds, “Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously.”


This is a huge deal in music...

he was never at the forefront of the band, but some of the songs he wrote for Floyd include Great Gig in the Sky and Us and Them. the man was a genius.

2 comments:

  1. I'm learning to fly like the Foos because that's what was playing in my head *and* like Floyd because of Richard Wright. No Tom Petty today.

    Isn't it cool? I love that the birds are made out of map pieces.

    Thank you, luv. I adore listening to your words as well. heh, it's like hearing and feeling are pretty much the same thing to my sensory system.

    tmdowtd.
    tim dowd.
    if you ever have to run from the authority that should be your alias. and i'll be your sister regina. maybe we're running from the authority cause you just wouldn't slozsn down!

    woah.

    ReplyDelete