Wednesday, March 18, 2009

OBEY

Walking home this morning, I passed a bus stop where I saw a man, fifty or so years old, standing in the middle of the turning lane. Excuse me sir, I said, what are you doing there? Waiting for the bus. Shouldn't you wait, you know, on the sidewalk? Can't see. What do you mean? Can't see the bus from there. Sir, I'm sure you'll see it when it comes up. Be too late. I see. He wore a gray suit with a red tie and he held a small briefcase in one hand, a cane in the other. I started to continue, but the sight disturbed me too much. Sir, I really don't think you are supposed to stand there. It could be dangerous. Says who? I'm not sure, the city, I guess. Cities don't have opinions. But they have rules. Who are you to enforce them? Well, nobody, I guess, just a concerned citizen. Go concern elsewhere. Sir, I just really think its in your best interest to stand on the sidewalk. Look! There's even a bench and a shelter for you to sit under. Don't want to sit. Okay, then you can stand, just don't stand in the middle of the road. I'm in the middle of the lane, not the middle of the road. Listen, sir, I am pretty sure you are missing the point. This is dangerous. It can endanger other people. This is not allowed! You clearly know better than I do.
Seeing his point, I decided to continue home.

No comments:

Post a Comment