Friday, May 22, 2009

Some CD Reviews

Heh. Let's kick it off with controversy.

21st Century Breakdown
Green Day

Enough with the rock operas. Chalk me up as an enormous fan of rock operas. But what happened in the last few years that made bands think they could all pull one off? This album seems more like a natural progression from My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade" than it does a followup Green Day album. Not to say they copied and pasted that style. Its still reminiscent of classic Green Day. But. I mean, if this is the direction they want to go, more power to them. Its not what I expected is all. That said, its alright. I just feel they are trying to be TOO ambitious. +-

It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All a Dream! It's Alright
mewithoutYou

Very folk. Very indie. Pretty good. It's as if they wrote some songs, stripped them down to their undies, and recorded what was left. Although it's certainly no 'Brother, Sister', it has potential to catch my heart on a few more listens, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt since it IS mwY. Save room for an edit later, I mean, its not like I'm an actual journalist with a deadline. For now, +++

Awake?
Zao

Raw. Part of the reason I gave mwY some benefit is because the first time I cycled this record I thought, meh. Give it a few more listens. It is intense. A much more natural fit for Romance, too. That song went from an outcast from Funeral of God to the pivotal moment of Awake?. What a great song. It won't reign at the top of Zao's discography, but come on. They've outdone themselves with this one. ++++

Wars and Rumors of Wars
The Chariot

Raw passion. Absolutely sick. One of the shortest LPs I've ever listened to, but every song BRINGS IT. Honestly, this is the Chariot's best record to date. They bring the same intensity, but they are patient about it. How can a record that barely clocks in at 30 minutes long be patient? Good question. I don't know how they did it, but nothing at all was rushed and every song lives up to the expectations. ++++

No comments:

Post a Comment