Friday, September 18, 2009

oh please.

a paper boat with paper sails
a paper man leaves paper trails
begging pardon, bent to knee
i asked him where he'd like to be
far from here! cried twisted face
i'm sick of this awful, godless place
sorry, i say, i don't mean to pry
i'll fully explain! said he to i
abandoned by family, friends and foe
i've nothing to do and nowhere to go
my job is dead end, my theories are shot
my pillow and blanket are all that i've got
unwelcome at church, and hardly awake
i skulk through the day, at night i can't take it
my shirt is torn, my shoes run down
i'm shaking off this dusty town
i'm burning bridges, breaking ties
shedding its empty, soulless lies
now if you will please, its the end of the day
go home and sleep well, i'll be on my own way
i took a step back, and thought for a bit
then calling him back, i won't have it!
pardon my words, i've not known you too long
but it seems to my ears, your words are too strong
you say you're forgotten, that everyone's left you
but i'll say with assurance, these things are untrue
your friends haven't left you, you've left your friends
you want them back, well make amends!
your job has gone nowhere, but haven't you dreams?
everyone feels that way! i screamed,
if church is your place then find a new light
your pillow is there, so use it tonight!
i handed him twenty, said buy some new shoes
i'm here with you now, i won't let you lose.
where are you from, he said, who are you?
let's go, i told him, we've things to do.

1 comment: