Thursday, May 13, 2010


What are we, if not
memories? Entire lives
spent in the past, who
are we to call ourselves
more than such? Without
memories, have we identity?
One can argue, we are as
we are seen in the eyes of
our family and friends.

But are we not memories
in their minds? All of our
actions and words, our appearance
and feelings, interpreted into
memories, directly recallable
only as long as the lives of those
who experienced Us.

Do we have presence outside
of the minds of those of ours?
One could argue that our presence
exists in the physical Now, but
is it too much to consider the Now
as just the most tangible memory we have?
What is Now, but an infinitesimal point
on Time's map?

By definition, a point has no physical
value, only serving as an eternally small
reference location for a given value.
Therefore, an inability to measure the
value of the Now leaves us with no measurable
concept of physical presence. Now is Now,
and we are our past. Past Nows can be measured
in quantity, so we can measure our worth in
past presences, or memories.

We are who we are. I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. I am quite impressed with this musing.
    Gather them all and publish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this a lot. I dwell on memories so much. I tend to be really nostalgic.

    Thanks Ande. I know he's gonna be fine, I just worry. I'd worry for anyone going into the military. I mean, I worried for my friend AJ when he went into the air force and it's the air force...

    Why didn't you end up going to West Point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a part of why people need people so much. We're social creatures because social interaction is the only way we can be sure that we actually exist.

    ReplyDelete